10/27/2006

Ignorance
So I'm leaving work today, and I see a woman, A, from another department out having a smoke. Being the consistent smoker that I am, I join her. The headline in todays paper was about a young teacher who was pregnant and murdered (hi, Scott Pederson flashbacks, anyone). This young woman was East Indian. A is German and the other woman was just plain caucasian. Both of them are going on about how ridiculous the East Indian culture is to women and how of course the husband or the brother in law killed her etc. Now, don't get me wrong I fully believe that her husband killed her, but that is based simply on previous cases and slight descriptions from the papers. If that was how A and this random woman proceeded with this conversation, fine. But no, just about everything is a stereotype about the culture, not to mention A's rambling about the law and what the police need. She claims that they need to break the family and get a confession. Sorry hun, but I'm a third year crim student, unless there is evidence to support the confession, it aint gonna do a whole hell of a lot. Argh, I was so damn angry from this conversation. Actually A's comments were very similar to things that C tends to say. They both need to learn how to shut up occasionally and think about what they say before they say it!

No comments: