5/08/2006

More on Crying
Why do people feel the urge to cry to bartenders? I really don't understand it. After having a miserable night (including crying) I decided to whip down to my usual pub and have myself a beer. So rather than grabbing a table in the smoking section as usual, I headed to the empty row at the bar in the non smoking section. The bartender, J, looks at me (red puffy eyes and all) and asks if I am ok? No J I'm not freaking ok, but I don't want to talk about it. To which J replies, "Are you sure you're ok? I'm a bartender, I'm a good listener." Me: "No J I really don't want to talk about it." And one of the waitresses looks at us (after she told me that LC and R had just left before I got there) and has that sympathy look and the should-I-be-telling-LC that somethings not right kind of look. Christ all I wanted was a drink in peace. So I let J tell me how he is short kitchen staff and that they close at 11:00 on Sundays. Ok I'm a regular I know this but considering my options I let him keep going.
So my main point in all that is what makes people cry to a bartender. Is it the random stranger thing that does it for them or just having someone pretend that they give a shit and to know that you never have to talk about it again if you don't want to? Will possibly update later, which also proves that I have been in school way too long because I'm considering testing the damn theory.

No comments: